There are 2 different kind of paper options available for full color
business cards, 14 Point with UV or Uncoated. So few
questions you must be thinking are:
- What is Point? It is the thickness of the paper. 14Point is around 0.014 inches thick.
- What is UV? The paper is coated with UV Coating after the printing is done. Gives a high gloss and makes it durable.
- What is Uncoated? There is no coating on the paper, so if you don't like glossy then choose this paper.
- What are the differences? It is all about your
preference. Some people like glossy some people like no gloss. If you
like glossy then go with the 14Pt with UV, otherwise the 13.5 pt.
Uncoated is a good choice.
- When do you choose one compared to the other? If
you have heavy coverage then our recommendation is 14Pt with
UV. The 13.5 pt Uncoated works great for low ink coverage for e.g. if
you have a logo and some text.
- What is 14Pt UV Coated?
14 Point is the thickness of paper used for printing. This kind of
paper is card stock and is very stiff. These are ideal for business
cards or postcards. So if you like real thick paper then you can't go
wrong with this paper.
UV Coating is a clear liquid spread over the paper like ink and then
cured instantly with ultraviolet light. UV coating gives more protection
and sheen than either varnish or aqueous coating. Since it is cured
with light and not heat, no solvents enter the atmosphere. However, it
is more difficult to recycle than the other coatings.
UV coating is applied as a separate finishing operation as a flood
coating. Keep in mind that this thick coating may crack when scored or
Please do note sometime people don't prefer keeping thick business
cards in their wallets and also for postcard which needs to be mailed
out increases the weight of the mailing and hence more postage.