One of the advantages of being in business for over ten years, is that we've seen a lot of exciting changes in the world of commercial printing and graphics communications. Computer-to-Plate (CTP) systems have made a huge impact in traditional offset printing, providing better printing plates capable of amazing image quality. Our chemistry-free plating system develops on press which adds an incredible environmental benefits as well. Technology has lead to major improvements in the areas of digital printing and copying also — using faster, more precise RIPS, and producing higher resolution output in shorter periods of time.
As proven experts in both Digital Printing and traditional Offset Printing, we have a great deal of experience and advice that we're more than happy to share with our clients. First, let's take a look at the advantages of each printing method:
Advantages of Digital
- Lower cost per unit for shorter runs (no money tied up in plates or make-ready)
- Faster turn-around times (no drying time required.)
- Variable Data printing so each page can be unique
- Instant Proofing, since each proof IS a print
- Less waste since there's virtually ZERO make-ready
Advantages of Offset
- Lower cost per unit for longer runs (Unit cost goes down as print quantity goes up)
- Better Quality with higher image resolution (especially when combined with CTP, like we do!)
- More paper options (Most digital devices require special papers and smooth finishes, which makes linen and laid finishes challenging or not possible)
- Pantone Spot Color and Metallic Ink options (Not all colors can be built from CMYK, no matter how hard you try!)
Making your decision...
Once you've weighed all your options, it comes down to the needs and requirements of each unique project. Digital is clearly the best option for small runs needed in a hurry, as long as you don't need special papers or spot colors. If you have time, need a bunch, and have special corporate colors to match, you can't beat traditional offset.
Fortunately, while the choice is clearly yours, you never have to figure it out all alone. You're always welcome to contact one of our knowledgeable Customer Service or Sales Representatives. They will always be happy to help you choose the best solution for your project, while meeting your budget and time-line.